Diet is a very important aspect when you are fighting against cancer. Filling up on nutritionally balanced foods is critical to
keep your body healthy. This disease can make your life difficult and hard.
As a patient, you may develop a sense of aversion to eating certain foods. On certain occasions, you may not feel like eating. Whatever might be the situation, you need to take the right foods to make your cancer-fighting journey fruitful.
Focus on selecting healthy foods
If you are being treated for cancer, you must be careful about your diet. Extreme diets that do not supply important nutrients must be avoided. It is always advisable to concentrate on following a balanced diet.
You should consult your oncologist or nutritionist to find out whether you need added calories and protein to maintain your body strength properly during treatment.
How to get your diet right?
No matter whether you are taking treatment for breast cancer or any other type of cancer, you do not have to make a drastic change to your diet.
Your diet brings some qualitative changes to the nutrition to optimize health.
Experts always advise patients to select cereals and whole-grain bread. You can take pasteurized vegetable or fruit juices. Pasteurization safeguards your body against germs. When you eat, you should fill half part of your plate with fruits and
Reduce red or processed meat and sugary foods consumption
Meat consumption needs to be reduced considerably.
You can replace meat with vegetable stir-fry or vegetarian lasagna a few times a week.
If your oncologist has not warned against consuming raw food, you can eat a leafy green salad with dinner.
The consumption of sugary food has to be controlled because the high sugar content aids cancer development.
Last but not the least; you must opt for fish and lean meats instead of relying on processed meat or red meat.
The Best foods for breast cancer
Each cancer type has its own characteristics.
What to eat if you are a breast cancer patient? You need to consume foods that contain a lot of fiber such as legumes, beans, and whole grains.
It is also essential to increase your vegetable and fruit intake considerably. These types of food items contain antioxidants like beta carotene and vitamins C, and Vitamin E to which help your body fight against the dangerous free radicals.
Fiber is highly effective in strengthening your digestive system and eliminating waste including unwanted estrogen in your body. Oncologists always advise their patients to eat fruits and vegetables (5 servings a day).
You can consume cruciferous vegetables like Brussels sprouts, cabbage, kale, cauliflower, and broccoli. Fruits such as berries, apples, and peaches support your fight efficiently.
Other food items recommended include:
– Whole grains
– Protein-rich foods like fish, poultry, and legumes
– Green leafy vegetables like lettuce, spinach, endives, Swiss chard
– Flax seeds
– Soy food
– Healthy fats like seeds, nuts, avocados, and olive oils
– Water. (You need to consume 64 ounces of water daily)
The Best food for hair growth
Many patients lose hair during chemotherapy, which is an integral part of cancer treatment.
If you want to make hair grow faster, you need to consume food items containing Vitamin A, Vitamin B, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, and Biotin. These nutrients enhance blood flow to the scalp and promote fast hair growth.
Most effective food items you need to consume are dark leafy greens such as spinach, Swiss chard, kales, and eggs.
- – The egg is a renowned source of protein and biotin. It prevents brittle, weak, and dry hair.
- – Salmon is another good option. Highly rich in Omega 3-fatty acids, this fish increases your scalp health.
- – You also have to eat beans and legumes for fast hair growth because they are also excellent sources of protein, zinc, biotin, and iron.
The Best foods for skin health
You need to follow a healthy diet to absorb the right nutrients that can safeguard your skin effectively. Some foods help you fight off cancer, and can even prevent the spread of this disease from one part of the body to another.
- – Adding sweet potatoes amps up your diet and protects your skin health admirably.
- – The anti-oxidant available in sweet potatoes known as beta carotene neutralizes free radicals that provide a congenial atmosphere for the spread of this disease.
- – Tomatoes are a good choice when it comes to selecting the best foods for enhancing the health of skin.
- – Rich in lycopene, they enhance the ability of your skin to protect it from harmful UV rays and other external stressors.
Salmon, flaxseeds, and walnuts
- – Walnuts, flax seeds, and salmon help patients safeguard their skin health. Containing high amounts of Omega-3 fatty acids, they create a protective fat layer underneath the skin to ensure the best protection to your skin.
- – Patients can make use of the power of the leafy greens like spinach to enjoy the best skin protection. You need to consume at least three servings of leafy greens a week to keep your skin healthy.
- – Melanoma patients can use turmeric to prevent the growth of cancer cells. It contains a yellow pigment known as Curcumin that lends powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- – Catechin is a powerful anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory agent that helps your body remove free radicals. Green tea contains high amounts of Catechin.
- – It is also a powerful source of a plant compound called polyphenols that prevent cancer by controlling blood supply to cancer cells.
10 foods that promote sleep
Several patients experience sleep problems during treatment. It is always advisable to eat food items containing tryptophan that helps your body make serotonin to promote sound sleep. You should also consume fruits and vegetables a lot to enjoy a good sleep. The 10 foods that promote sleep in cancer patients are:
– Fruits: almonds, kiwi
– Nuts: walnuts
– Whole grain
– Peanut butter
Foods you need to avoid as a cancer patient
– You must avoid excess intake of sugar, salt, and oily foods.
– Alcohol consumption needs to be minimized.
– Processed and red meats such as sausages, ham, and bacon are not going to contribute positively toward your cancer- fighting journey.
– You should also avoid the use of preserved foods to maintain a cancer fighting diet.